Before we get into the benefits of microdermabrasion, let’s take a moment to understand exactly what microdermabrasion is.
Microdermabrasion technique uses a diamond-tipped wand which mechanically scrubs the skin, and then as with crystals, the dead skin cells are vacuumed away by a separate suction system.
Microdermabrasion can be used to treat acne scarring, differences in skin pigmentation, wrinkles, and fine lines, enlarged pores, sun damage and flaking skin. It cannot, however, be used for eczema, dermatitis, lupus, herpes, active sunburn, psoriasis and active, widespread acne.
Let’s have a look at some of the benefits of Microdermabrasion
- Safety: Microdermabrasion is not as invasive and therefore a lot safer than other treatments such as chemical peels and laser resurfacing treatments. Chemical peels and laser resurfacing can lead to permanent skin discoloration, bacterial infections, and scarring. If the microdermabrasion is done by a professional aesthetician or a dermatologist, there is little to no risk involved in this treatment. The non-invasive nature of the treatment also leads to a much shorter recovery time.
- Speed: Microdermabrasion takes between half an hour to an hour to complete, and therefore allows you to fit a treatment into your busy schedule without any significant downtime. Unlike chemical peels and laser resurfacing there is also no significant recovery time after the treatment.
- Virtually Painless: Because microdermabrasion only strips away the initial layer of dead skin cells; there is virtually no pain. You might experience a slight tingling during the treatment and mild irritation after the treatment. This irritation of the skin can be easily treated with a topical cream and disappears the same day. Chemical peels use acids which can damage the skin. Laser resurfacing can cause burns to your skin. But microdermabrasion is so non-invasive, that there is very little risk of damage to your skin.
- Microdermabrasion is very versatile: The technique can be used for all types of skin, and the depth of exfoliation can be very easily controlled, which makes microdermabrasion very versatile in its application. A few consecutive treatments may be needed to remove persistent dark spots and wrinkles, but the speed of the treatment and the almost instant recovery makes this technique a viable option for the modern, busy man or woman.
- Increased penetration of high-quality beauty products: Having exfoliated the dead skin cells on the surface thereby revealing healthier, new skins cells underneath, Microdermabrasion aids the absorption a skin care products by up to 50%. This allows the beauty and skin products to work more effectively and ends up being more cost effective.
For a quick, non-invasive, painless and cost-effective way to rejuvenate your skin and remove blemishes, you can’t do better than microdermabrasion. The virtually non-existent recovery time needed makes it possible to have this treatment over lunch time, and then to immediately return to the office. Consult Yaletown Laser Centre if you are thinking of undergoing microdermabrasion.