Laser hair removal treatments give you the satin-sooth look you want – but you need to take a little extra care right after the treatment. It’s not a matter of grabbing your swimsuit and heading for the poolside right away.
When scheduling laser hair removal treatment, take the short aftercare period into consideration so that you can time your treatments to suit the activities you’re planning.
Right After Your Treatment Session And For the Next 48 Hours
Laser hair removal therapy is safe in the hands of a qualified practitioner, but there is a recovery period. During the first 48 hours, you might notice some redness and inflammation, and you should take a little extra care of the treated area.
- Wear loose, breathable clothing
- Try not to touch the treated area
- Use 100 percent Aloe gel to cool the treated area
- Stay out of the sun, or cover up and use SPF50
- Avoid hot baths or showers. Tepid water is fine
- Take it easy – avoid participating in strenuous activities
- If your face has been treated, you should avoid wearing most types of makeup
- Stay out of the pool, Jacuzzi, hot tub or sauna
Laser hair removal treatment will consist of a series of treatments before you achieve the desired results. Within 48 hours of your treatment, everything should be back to normal, but if you want your course of treatments to be a success, it’s time to start thinking of your next session.
- Four to five days after your last treatment, you can exfoliate the treated area to remove dead or dry skin.
- Hair regrows between treatments. Shave or use a hair removal cream. Remember, the laser needs some hair left under the skin to work with.
- Don’t tan. The lighter your skin is, the better your next laser treatment will work. If you want to use fake tan, discontinue it about seven days before your next session.
- Protect the treated area from UV light throughout the treatment process.
- Inform your therapist if you have been prescribed any new medications.
Are the Results Worth It?
It’s a common misconception that laser hair removal therapy is a once-off treatment with no aftercare required. However, for most people, it’s a worthwhile process. In most instances, we can reach a point where there is no hair regrowth or where the regrown hair is so soft and pale that it can hardly be seen.
If you’re thinking of dealing with unwanted body or facial hair, it’s important to remember that what treatments achieve, how long they take, and how effective they are, depend on individual factors. It’s not a matter of just walking in to our clinic and beginning treatment – you need all the information first.
In general, we find that our patients are very happy with the results they achieve with laser hair removal therapy. That’s because we talk them through the whole process and explain what results they can expect. If you’re considering laser hair removal therapy, we recommend a visit to our clinic as your very next step. Call us for an appointment or book online right away.