A Guide to Men’s Skin Care
Women have been obsessing over their skin care routine for years but it doesn’t seem to be as popular in the men’s world. Globally, women spend approximately $91 billion US on skin care while their male counterparts spend a meager $28 billion US. So that begs the question, are guys just saving money or are they slacking on their skin care routines? The answer is: both. Whether it’s because they have facial hair that covers a lot of the skin on their faces, or because it’s simply not the social norm, men do not put nearly as much effort into their facial skin care. Your trusted Vancouver Laser Centre presents you a guide for the men out there who don’t want to spend excessively, but do care about their skin.
Why should you care about how your skin looks?
There are numerous benefits to adopting a basic skin care routine. These benefits include:
- Look younger: Looking younger can be important for more things that just being happy when you look in the mirror. Looking younger can be important for your career and dating opportunities. Not too many women like a 30-year-old guy who looks like he’s 50.
- Shaving: Shaving will be easier, skin will be less irritated and inflamed, and there will be a significant reduction in ingrown hairs.
- Breakouts: If you struggle with acne or breakouts, a solid skin care routine can help! A solid routine can result in fewer breakouts, dry spots, and oily areas, allowing you to show off that natural attractiveness
- Self-esteem: Feel better about the way you look! When your skin isn’t healthy, you can’t look your best. Consult your nearest Skin Care Clinic to find out more about skin treatments available for men.
How do you establish a good skin care routine?
Here are a few basic tips to maintain a solid skin care routine:
- Gentle cleanser: Use a gentle liquid cleanser to wash away harmful bacteria without harming your skin.
- Exfoliant: Use an exfoliant but not a scrub as they tear into skin resulting in irritation and inflammation. Shaving is enough exfoliation for any face!
- Beta hydroxy acid: Otherwise known as BHA, beta hydroxy acid removes pore-clogging, old-looking skin. Products that contain BHA also have anti-redness capabilities
- Sunscreen: Use a sunscreen of at least SPF 20 during the day and moisturizer at night
- Acne control: If you suffer from acne, a product containing benzoyl peroxide is a necessity
- Irritants: Never use products containing irritants such as alcohol, menthol, peppermint, or too much fragrance.
How do you determine your skin type?
Determining your skin type is an important part of establishing the right skin care routine for you. It will determine the products you are using and the additional treatments you may require.
Oily skin: Oily skin has an all-over shine, may have blackheads or white bumps, generally has acne breakouts, and often enlarged and clogged pores.
Combination skin: This is the most common skin type. This skin has both oily and dry areas. The oily areas are generally in the center of your face while cheeks typically range from slightly to very dry.
Dry skin: Dry skin has a rough and uneven texture and may even feel tight or show visible flaking. Pores are typically small and blackheads and breakouts are rare.
In addition to having a regular and solid skin care routine, your skin may require additional help. Many men are embarrassed to go to the skin care clinic to have a cosmetic procedure done. However, things like microdermabrasion can drastically reduce wrinkling and aging. If you truly care about your skin and your look, you will adopt a skin care routine that keeps your skin strong and healthy!